WORSHIP AT WESTMINSTER
As a community created as Westminster Presbyterian Church, and ever seeking guidance from the Holy Spirit, we seek to be attentive to the Word, faithful to our covenant to God and with each other, and diligent in ministering to the needs of the world. As members of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. (PCUSA), we worship within the foundation of the Reformed Tradition. Our worship services are centered upon God’s Word and organized around a basic form in five parts:
- in gratitude for God’s blessings we are joyfully GATHERING AROUND THE WORD to celebrate the spiritual formation that occurs through corporate worship, to confess our sins, hear the assurance of God’s pardon, and share the peace of Christ with one another;
- we are actively PROCLAIMING THE WORD through a variety of approaches that include messages for children, choir anthems and other choral music offerings, youth- and congregation-led worship services, and sermons that each help us to grow in our understanding of scripture and inspire our faith journey;
- we are RESPONDING TO THE WORD by affirming our faith, by sharing our joys and concerns, by praying for the community within our walls and for the needs of the wider world, and by offering our gifts and dedicating our service to God’s work;
- we are SEALING THE WORD and its promises through the sacraments of communion and baptism in selected services throughout the liturgical year; and
- we are BEARING AND FOLLOWING THE WORD INTO THE WORLD as we sustain the spirit of worship in our daily lives.
Within this form, we embrace great flexibility, celebrate God’s imaginative spirit, and strive to create space for the beauty of wonder. We seek to be an inclusive community that welcomes you wherever you are on your faith journey and invites you to experience God’s Word with us each Sunday morning.
MUSIC IN WORSHIP
The music ministry of Westminster Presbyterian Church serves to support and enrich the congregation’s worship of God. Through the glorious gift of music, we may proclaim God’s word, sing God’s praise, or offer our prayers. Although opportunities for fellowship and nurture are also present in our music ministry, an opportunity to contribute to Christ-centered corporate worship is the main focus of the music program.
We are a singing congregation! Our congregational song is shared from Glory to God, the 2013 hymnal of the PCUSA, and is supported through leadership from our Chancel Choir, pipe organ, and piano. We embrace a blended style of worship that integrates a variety of types and styles of music chosen to amplify the proclamation of God’s word.
THE SACRAMENTS OF HOLY COMMUNION AND BAPTISM
We celebrate the Sacrament of Holy Communion on the first Sunday of every month and on Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, Easter, and Pentecost. Holy Communion is served at the Lord’s Table, where all are invited to partake. The Sacrament of Baptism, which is only performed within a worship service, is celebrated upon request following consultation with a Pastor.
CHILDREN IN WORSHIP
Our worship services seek to be educational, faith-forming, and family-friendly for people of all ages. Children are welcome to worship alongside their parents or to participate in our Children’s Worship program, which runs concurrently with the worship service. Our nursery, which is staffed by volunteers, is available for children 6 weeks to 6 years every Sunday morning.
Sunday Worship Times
9:30am – Worship
Nursery – Our nursery is available for children 6 weeks to 3 years old every Sunday morning from 9:15am-12:00pm. Our nursery is staffed by a caring and experienced staff. If you need childcare for a church event or meeting at a time other than Sunday morning please contact our Pastor at least 3 days in advance.
Worship Volunteers – We always can use ushers, greeters, and other volunteers during worship. Sign up on the bulletin board in the narthex or contact the office for more information.
Worship at Oakwood, Second Wednesdays at 1pm – Westminster and Covenant will continue to offer a monthly communion worship at Oakwood-West on second Wednesdays at 1pm. We will not gather through the summer months. Worship at Oakwood will resume in September. All are welcome to join us; you do not need to be an Oakwood resident. This is a great way to pause and reflect mid-week. The worship is held in the Oakwood Chapel.